Monday 30 May 2016

Trendsetters at Work: Barneys New York




Trendsetters: Barney's
When it's your job to curate the digital magazine for the chicest department store around, it stands to reason that you'd be pretty tapped in. 
That's right, as the senior editorial director of Barneys New York The Window, Marissa Rosenblum spends her days dashing to and from photo shoots, meeting with up-and-coming designers, taking meetings at her NYC office and everything in between. The expert multi-tasker rarely has a spare (or dull) moment, but as luck would have it, we managed to steal a moment of her time to learn all about how she makes it happen.

What was your first job?
Fashion assistant at Seventeen magazine.

What is a typical day like for you?
One day I may be overseeing a photo shoot on location, another I may be at one of the stores, sometimes I'm in market and sometimes in the office. It's really a role that touches every department, which is one of the things I love about it.
Trendsetters: Barney's
Tell us about your office décor.
My office decor includes stacks of art and fashion books and illustrations and photos from some of the talent we've had the privilege of collaborating with and featuring on The Window. Mostly though, it's constantly filled with samples from designers we carry in preparation for upcoming shoots. My office is a bit of a walk-in closet, to be honest.

What's the best part about your job?
The best part of my job is working with the team in bringing the world of Barneys to life on our editorial site, The Window. We have a great team and we take pride in what we do and have a lot of fun.

Describe your personal style.
My personal style is Northeast Americana style mixed with a little bit of kooky, art-school girl. I like natural, classic things, but I'm also a bit of a magpie for the odd, exaggerated and textured. I appreciate a well-made garment and like to feel a little swing in my step.
What does your office "uniform" look like?
Lately, it's been starting with cut-off jeans.

What up-and-coming designers should we know?
There's an amazing moment of early aughts designers coming back around, which is exceptionally exciting to me since it was the first group of designers I discovered for myself and purchased (many of which while rummaging through the Barneys Warehouse sale years ago). Tracy Feith for Warm, Jane Mayle and Katayone Adeli have all been quietly behind the scenes, and while none of them are up-and-coming, there's a whole audience who gets to discover them, too.

Who's your favorite designer of all time and why?
It's hard to choose a favorite designer. If put on the spot, I'd say Yohji Yamamoto because his work is truly art with a studied foundation that is unmatched. He
gave us an interview not too long ago, and I became an even bigger fan when he shared some funny musings and very strong convictions about never looking back.
Trendsetters: Barney's
How do you decide what to post on The Window?
[It's a] secret formula that includes a mix of Barneys happenings, seasonality, culture, designer friends and shoes.

What style trends are you loving right now? And which do you wish would go away?
Right now, I like the trend of people asking where and how their clothes are made. Thoughtful dressing: I hope that trend doesn't go away.

Name three wardrobe essentials a girl should have on her at all times.
Three things to keep in your office: a pair of heels you can both walk in and feel confident in, a smart jacket you can slip on for last-minute meetings and a sheer lipstick that can be applied for a little extra color on the lips (and cheeks) if you really need to look alive in a jiff and haven't had coffee yet.
What's the most daring career risk you've ever taken?
At the time it felt like the most daring but looking back it was the least. I left Seventeen magazine after 10 years for Refinery29. I wanted to be immersed in the digital world and took on a role that was a few steps up and away from what I knew well. Leaving my comfort zone was frightening, but it was also the most pivotal move I have made in my career. I am less afraid of the unknown when it comes to work or personal life, and that experience helped get me to that place.

Who are some of your career heroes?
Gina Kelly and Christene Barberich.
Trendsetters: Barney's
Today for lunch I had...Juice Press Doctor Green. I wish I had time for a proper lunch today.
The first website I log onto every day is...Wall Street Journal, The 10-Point Newsletter is the first thing I read every morning.
My usual Starbucks order is...I usually go to Toby's Estate...regular drip coffee with a touch of cream.
If I wasn't doing this job, I would be...far away, traveling the world on the cheap.
My favorite lipstick shade is...either Surratt Lip lustre au naturelle or Chantecaille Lip Chic in Gaia.
List five things that are on your desk right now... A Clam With Googly Eyes from M. Carter Shop given to me by former coworkers at Refinery29, an illustration by Justin Teodoro, a bottle of Hal's lemon seltzer, a heart-shaped succulent plant from The Sill and black felt tip pens.
My favorite Instagram account is...@barneyny!

No comments:

Post a Comment