Muhammad-Ali-Ebony-2016
“Muhammad Ali was my first idol. Although he retired from boxing in 1981 when I was only 3 years old, he was still the biggest celebrity in my world. I’ll never forget watching him jog through North Philadelphia in the early 1980s, stopping for soul food on Broad Street and getting his haircut at a local barbershop. I was amazed to see an international superstar; the same man I watched on TV commercials and during reruns of Diff’rent Strokes, doing what regular Black people did. This was the biggest part of Ali’s greatness. While we marveled at his ability to slay giants like George Foreman and Joe Frazier, it was his deep humility and boundless love of Black people that made him a legend in my’ hood and ghettoes around the globe. “ Read more at EBONY.
Muhammad Ali for Ebony Magazine August 2016