Tuesday 25 March 2014

Pharrell Williams Covers GQ‘s April Issue.

Pharrell Williams GQ April 2014
• From that Vivienne Westwood Arby’s hat to speculation on whether or not he’s some kind of mystical warlock, the world is buzzing about Pharrell Williams, who covers this month’s GQ. In recent weeks, the album cover for his latest effort, G I R L  has faced a bit of scrutiny from black women who were disappointed to see that a black girl was not featured on the cover. Williams clears the air in this interview for all those up in arms:
“It’s insecurity. You can be anything that you want to be, and what I chose to do is put my friends on the cover. The girl that was closest next to me is black, but they didn’t know that, so they jumped the gun. And it’s like: ‘Yo, you don’t need nobody to represent you. You represent you. You represent the best version of who you could be. You go out there and change the world.’ Because I’m black, and I wouldn’t trade my skin color for nothing. But I don’t need to keep wearing a badge that tells you that I’m black every time I do something! I’m black! My mother’s black, who’s a big part of my business; a black woman runs my business; and I’m married to a black woman. What more do you want?”
Read the full article at GQ.com (GQ)

No comments:

Post a Comment