Wednesday 28 October 2015

Serena Williams for Wired Magazine November 2015

DH_SWilliams_Cnt7_Fr11**.tif

Serena Williams for Wired Magazine November 2015 WIRED November2015
“From Silicon Valley’s diversity problem to the digitally enabled nationwide rise of Black Lives Matter, the WIRED world is squarely at the heart of today’s conversation about race and gender,” writes editor in chief Scott Dadich in this month’s editor’s letter. “We decided to devote all of our attention to these important matters and dedicate an issue to equality and the future—and we had the great good luck to have Serena Williams join us as guest editor.”
DH_SWilliams_Cnt7_Fr11**.tif
In a personal essay titled “The Ball Is in Your Court,” Serena explains why she was excited to guest edit the issue: “I’m a black woman, and I am in a sport that wasn’t really meant for black people. I want young people to look at the trailblazers that we have assembled [in this issue] and be inspired.”
Serena also shares the following insight into how she stays focused and positive:
“Back in 2008, when I was competing in the US Open, I would keep little “matchbooks,” where I’d write affirmations to myself and read them during matches. It worked pretty well. But before long I found an even better way to inspire myself: I started using affirmations as the passwords to my phone and my computer. (No, I’m not going to tell you what my current affirmation is!) You should try it. You’ll be surprised how many times a day you log in and have an opportunity to trigger the positivity. I love that I can use technology that way.”

Read the rest of her essay here.
Images: Platon/WIRED

No comments:

Post a Comment