Friday 31 January 2014

Fashion Blogger Shoots #OOTD in Jewish Mausoleum, Apologizes After Uproar.

rachel nguyen jewish mausoleum 2
Personal style bloggers sometimes make fashion faux pas. But this particular misstep made by That’s Chic‘s Rachel Nguyen really rubbed folks the wrong way.
The 23-year-old staged a shoot documenting her #OOTD.  But it wasn’t her white button down, skater skirt, or chunky high heels that caused offense–it was where she took the photos that raised more than a few eyebrows:

 rachel nguyen jewish mausoleum
In the post, which has since been removed, Nguyen is pictured posing in a Jewish Mausoleum, for which offered the following explanation:
“The contrast of finding myself in a place I never want to be, in an outfit that I will wear for the rest of my life is slightly disturbing. But that’s what you get when you hang out with kids in their teens and want to explore anything and everything around. That though, is a refreshing perspective that you lose as you grow up. And with all the changes I’m implementing in my life, curiosity is back up on the chart of mindfulness. Thank you Aaron and Karissa for reminding me what it feels like to genuinely not give a f***.”
Ok then! What’s worse, the post went live on the 59th Anniversary of the Liberation of Auschwitz. Talk about poor taste/ bad timing!


After her post went viral, and after reading comments expressing just how offensive this particular shoot was, Nguyen, realizing the error of her ways, made quite a heartfelt apology:
Dear Readers,
In my last post (since removed), I posted pictures of myself posing in a cemetery with a “f*** it” attitude. I owe everyone a big humble apology.
This was a bad idea in general, but it also turned out to be really poorly timed. I thought I was being fun and irreverent at the Hollywood Forever Cemetery near my home, not thinking much about the denomination of the graves behind me, but more so my frustration with the fashion-blogging community. I had no idea when posting this that it was International Holocaust Remembrance Day, and that’s on me. I’m ashamed of my own ignorance and insensitivity.
As soon as the first comment criticizing the post came in, I knew I was in the wrong and went to that reader’s blog to apologize. Now I’d like to apologize to everyone and in particular anyone whose life or legacy was touched by the holocaust [sic]. While I can’t take back this offense, I promise to better educate myself and be more sensitive going forward.
I’m really sorry.
Rachel
Though Nguyen made a brash mistake and exhibited poor judgement, this apology sounds very sincere. It’s nice to hear someone in fashion is willing to educate themselves on why certain imagery might be inappropriate, instead of excusing it as “art,” and shading the rest of us for being offended by it. Certainly, more than a few can learn something from young Ms. Rachel.
What do you think, guys? Are you buying her apology?

No comments:

Post a Comment