Monday 17 October 2016

Trendsetters at Work: REVOLVE

ESC: Trendsetters at Work, Revolve
Ask anyone: REVOLVE (and REVOLVEman) is taking over.
The incredibly popular online retailer (who's dressed everyone from Kim Kardashian to Reese Witherspoon) carries over 500 women's and men's brands, has 40 million page visits each month and over 1.4 million email subscribers. We're not sure exactly how you measure success, but it's apparent REVOLVE has made it. (Insert multiple flying money and champagne popping emoji here.)
For those reasons, it's time you got to know the man behind the brand, founder and CEO Michael Mente. Don't let me keep you, start reading.

What was your first job?
Making funnel cakes at Knott's Berry Farm.
ESC: Trendsetters at Work, Revolve
Jacqueline Lee/E!
How did you get into the industry?
By knocking on a lot of doors. We started REVOLVE with no fashion industry experience or knowledge, but saw the opportunity and hit the streets.
What's a typical day like for you?
Nonstop meetings all day, checking in on key projects and checking in with my direct reports—or on the road with the crew, who knows where.
Tell us about your office.
It's important for me to have a clean and clear workspace. I feel like your physical surroundings directly affect your mind and the way you think. A messy, cluttered or overdecorated space prevents clarity!
ESC: Trendsetters at Work, Revolve
Jacqueline Lee/E!
What are your favorite items on your desk?
My iPhone/iPad charger. Gotta be prepared!
What's the best part about your business?
I'm very fortunate to work with some of my closest friends in the world. Even though it's all business while we're at work, we enjoy working together and it's deeply comforting to be surrounded by super-smart people you can trust, and are always watching your back. I'm sure there's more laughter in our work than anywhere else. Nothing is more fun than celebrating mutual success together!
What's the most daring career risk you've ever taken?
Pouring my life savings (and going into debt) to start REVOLVE.
ESC: Trendsetters at Work, Revolve
Jacqueline Lee/E!
Who are some of your career heroes?
Phil Knight, Ralph Lauren, Amancia Ortega. People with strong visions that grew and evolved over a lifetime.
What's the best piece of advice you've ever received?
"Don't date that person!"
What would you say REVOLVE's best known for?
I think REVOLVE is best known for having the best selection of cool clothes. Almost everybody can go on the site and find something they truly love, but at the same time, the edit is highly-curated with a cohesive perspective. The second thing we're best known for is having the best parties!
ESC: Trendsetters at Work, Revolve
Jacqueline Lee/E!
What celeb(s) wear your brand best?
Personally, I think the girls who either live in LA or are from LA wear our brand the best: like Kendall Jenner, Kim K, Gigi Hadidand Emily Ratajkowski. Nobody does sexy-cool better than an LA girl.
What trends are you loving right now?
Unisex! I love sharing clothes with my significant other. I love dressing them in my clothes and stealing things of theirs that work for me.
What's one trend you wish go away?
I think trends are great for our business, so to each their own!
ESC: Trendsetters at Work, Revolve
Jacqueline Lee/E!
Who dead or alive would you love to outfit?
Tupac "2Pac" Shakur.
What exciting things do you have coming up?
Paris Fashion Week with my friends for my birthday. 
ESC: Trendsetters at Work, Revolve
Jacqueline Lee/E!
Today for lunch I had...In N Out.
The first website I log onto everyday is...REVOLVE.com.
My usual Starbucks order is...only when I'm desperate. I usually make my own cold brew then mix it with MCT oil and ghee.
If I wasn't dong this job, I would be...running some other company in tech or fashion. It's the only thing I know how to do!
My favorite place to visit is...the office! I know this sounds cheesy and fake, but I love my job and I love the people I work with.
List five things on your desk right now:
1. Some Daniel Patrick X T-Raw (Tyga) jeans I just bought from REVOLVEman.
2. Copies of Fortune because of a recent article about us.
3. A 50 pack of REVOLVE lighters.
4. Mushroom tea and tea kettle.
5. A bottle of champagne. Gotta be ready for the next celebration!
The book I'm reading now is...I'm actually reading two books now.
1. Joy on Demand: The Art of Discovering the Happiness Within by Chade-Meng Tan - a book about meditation by some ex-Google dude.
2. Don't Shoot the Dog: The New Art of Teaching and Training by Karen Pryor - a dog training book recommended by Tim Ferriss. I'm the new owner of two Doberman puppies!

No comments:

Post a Comment