Friday 21 October 2016

Happy 32nd Birthday, Amber Rose! 9 Times Muva Rosebud Gave Us Fierce Feminist Realness

Amber Rose, 2016 MTV VMAs
Best believe we're twerking to the birthday song right now!
Today marks Amber Rose's 32nd birthday, and there's no arguing that the outspoken star has had quite a year. From the launch of her own talk show to the her stint on Dancing With the Stars, this celeb has grown her brand into an undeniable empire.

But what may outlast any business venture taken on by the young entrepreneur are her memorable quotes. Yes, there's no question that Amber is the queen of clapbacks, but she's also become the queen of empowerment.
Constantly speaking up for women against sexual assault, slut-shaming and negative body image, this self-proclaimed feminist has made it her duty to remind women why we are beautiful, badass and an absolute boss.
So, in honor of Muva's special day, we thought we'd relieve a few of her best quotes. Join us, won't you?
teewhy-hive.blogspot.co.uk
1. On Coming Into Her Own: "I was always about girl power, but I didn't quite get it because I did always feel like I had to be completely submissive to a man. I was always very unhappy doing that. I think I needed time to grow up," Rose told Cosmopolitan last year. "You get to a certain point in your life where you really find out who you are, and sometimes that happens when you're 25, but for me, it was 31. I didn't quite know that before. I guess social media did help create the feminist monster that I've become."
2. On Putting a Stop to Slut-Shaming: "Well I started my SlutWalk because I was inspired by the women in Toronto who were told by a police officer, if they didn't dress so slutty, they wouldn't get sexually assaulted. That's bullshit. I, along with millions of women get slut shamed daily for doing things men get praised for. Women are sexual beings too and I just want equality for all," she told Missguided.
Amber Rose, Slut Walk 2016
LA/INFphoto.com
3. On Clarifying the Meaning of Consent: After discussing the problem of strangers' feeling as though they could grab at her assets when meeting her during an appearance on It's Not You, It's Men, Rev Run offered that maybe this is the case because of "a representation of what you're wearing and stuff and seems like, in their mind, what you're representing."
His co-host, Tyrese, echoed similar sentiments, telling Amber, "I'm just saying, the comfort-ability some people find in wanting to touch or grope you...it's an energy that is sent out there that creates that type of response."
Rose was quick to disagree, "No it doesn't, and I'm gonna tell you why. If I'm laying down with a man butt-naked and his condom is on, and I say, ‘You know what? No. I don't wanna do this. I changed my mind.' That means no. That means f—k no," she says. "It doesn't matter how far I take it or what I have on, when I say no, it means no."
4. On Embracing the Phrase "To Each His Own": Amber, who made amends with Kim Kardashian earlier this year, defended the E! star when celebs, like singer Pink, were quick to judge her nude selfie.
"Pink we were all born naked society sexualizes our breast and bodies. If a grown mother of 2 is comfortable with her body and wants to show it off that's none of ur business or anyone else's. Now, if u wanna talk to kids and be a mentor to young teens, tell them to go to school and to not use their bodies to get ahead?! I'm all for it!" she wrote. "But please as a grown woman let another grown woman live as she wishes. That's our problem! We're so quick to down each other instead of uplifting!"
Karl Larson
5. On Slamming Double Standards: "Channing Tatum was a stripper. He was a stripper just like me. Then he became a professional model, just like I did. I was signed to Ford Models in New York… He even made a movie about being a stripper! And everyone bought it and they loved it and they were like, ‘Oh, my God, Magic Mike, we gotta go see it!'," Rose told Cosmo South Africa.
"But if I did that, people would tell me I was disgusting. I run eight businesses, I'm the CEO of my own company, and still I'm called a stripper. It's so ridiculous. We've had the same life, [Channing] and I, and I'm dumbed down for it. It's not his fault—it's just society."
Getty Images
6. On Accepting Criticism for the Greater Good: "I took all the punches, I took all the hits and I was comfortable with that. I did that for all the women everywhere and I knew what I was getting myself into and I was happy with that and I'm still happy with it. That's the main reason why I refer to myself as a slut and I'll get on Instagram and say, 'hoes be winning' is because it seems like every time I do something that makes me more successful and no matter how hard I work, people are like, 'Oh, you got there because you're a ho,'" she tells Time magazine.
"People judge the way I dress or they assume that I slept with all these men. So I just embrace it. I feel like so many girls go through that in the world that are not even famous and in high school, college, or just because they're very comfortable in their sexuality that they're just having random sex partners every day. That's not the case sometimes and sometimes it is, but guess what? You can do whatever you want with your body. I'm a big advocate for safe sex and HIV/AIDS awareness, I advocate for the LGBT community, and it's really just about being who you are and not being apologetic about it. Being slut shamed for being who you are is just not fair. You should live your life to the fullest and do anything and everything that you want and not care about anyone's opinion."
teewhy-hive.blogspot.co.uk
7. On Being a Voice: "It's an extreme form of bullying that we deal with as women and it's really unfortunate, but I like to be the voice to bring confidence to women and bring awareness to everyone," Rose told CNN. "I have millions of people scrutinizing me and telling me I deserve to be slut shamed. It's made me more passionate to do what I do."
8. On Raising a Male Feminist: "I'm raising him to be a feminist," Rose told People of her young son, Sebastian. "When my son goes to school and his friend calls a girl a hoe, I want him to be the first person to say, ‘Man, that's not cool. You don't talk to women like that.'"
She concluded, "Having [Sebastian] was like, you know what, I have to be stronger than I ever have been in my whole life, for him. He needs to look at his mom as Superwoman."
9. On Loving the Skin You're In: In a recent interview with The Cut, Amber opened up about her body image and how she has embraced her figure.
"People have to realize that the supermodels we see represent 5 percent or 3 percent of the women in the world. It's not realistic. It's very realistic to have cellulite and saggy boobs—it's just a part of being human," she told the magazine.
"It's something I try to put out with my SlutWalk. There's no body-shaming. And it really is very difficult. When you see these images, you think I don't look like that. Embrace the skin that you are in. If you really do want to change, put your mind to it. Try to work out and eat better. I love cheeseburgers and tacos. Those are my two favorite things. I'll probably never have the perfect body and I'm okay with that. As a celebrity now, I embrace it and I embrace my curves. I have a platform to help other women embrace it as well."

No comments:

Post a Comment