Tuesday 7 October 2014

How to Break Into Fashion: Nordstrom Phipps Plaza’s Designer Manager Lauren Hobbs.


Happy Tuesday!
Breaking into Fashion interviews are too few and far between, but I hope you’re inspired by today’s subject! A source had the pleasure of chatting with Lauren Hobbs, the designer manager at Nordstrom at Phipps Plaza in Atlanta! She offered lots of insight on her career, uncovered how she got her start, and provided tips for those looking to break into a similar business.


lauren hobbs nordstrom
Not quite sure what her job entails? The 23-year-old is charged with overseeing over 35 designer collections at the luxury department store (think Chanel, Givenchy, Balenciaga, Akris, Kenzo, Celine, Haider Ackermann, and Saint Laurent), hand selecting which looks will sell, merchandising, and making sure the floor is prepped and polished.
lauren hobbs designer collection nordstrom atlanta
She got her start as a freshman at the University of Maryland, where she majored in Communications. She said, “I started working for Nordstrom 5 years ago. The University of Maryland had a long winter break, and I always shopped at the Nordstrom by parent’s home, so I decided to work retail during the winter break.” She continued, “I came back the next summer, and was then promoted to a stylist. I was a stylist for Nordstrom all through college, working Saturdays and Sundays.”
Lauren Hobbs Nordstrom Phipps Plaza Designer Collections
” Once I graduated, I moved to Philly to be a manager at the King of Prussia store. A year or so later, I was promoted to oversee the designer floors here at Phipps.” Her day to day duties range from communicating with buyers and regional directors to checking sales quotas, monitoring volume for the week and going over business plans. Wonder how garments go from the runway to your local store? Along with buyers, Hobbs and her team hand select looks they’re sure will sell.
lauren hobbs regional director sales phipps plaza atlanta
If you want to break in, Hobbs says, “You have to start from the bottom and work your way up. Having experience on the sales floor and being a stylist were key to my current success. I’m 23-years-old and everyone I manage is older than me. I would never have the respect I have now if I didn’t know exactly what they had to do. So, start in retail.”
Nordstrom Phipps Plaza's Designer Manager Lauren Hobbs
She continues, “In terms of internships and getting your name out there, start right away. Especially when it comes to college. Girls don’t think they have to make that effort. You really should start as a freshman or sophomore if you want to break into this industry and be taken seriously. It’s almost too late once you’ve graduated. Experience is key in anything you do.”
lauren hobbs nordstrom designer pieces phipps plaza
For job applicants, she has a few style tips! She says, “While it’s amazing to have on a trendy outfit, you want people to concentrate on what you say, not what you wear. It’s what comes out of your mouth that is most important. Remain classy and effortless. Keep in mind the basics and the essentials. Think black suits, a nice dress, and pencil skirts–no crazy patterns. Huge earrings are a no no. You can go to Zara and find an amazing outfit. If you’re going to splurge, a nice bag, especially in the working world, is important. It will carry you through a lot of different things. Wear a basic pointed toe pump. Bags and shoes are investment pieces. Invest in either your shoes or your bag.”

lauren hobbs nordstom phipps atlanta designer manager collections copy
In closing, she says, “My motto is one life, one chance. My best friend and my grandmother passed away from cancer. You have one life to do it and you should’t live with regret. I’ve moved three different times from my family and I’m 23. While I’m sometimes so lonely, I’m obsessed with my career, and I know it will be worth it. Don’t live with regret.. Take every risk and opportunity that comes your way: it’s a blessing in disguise.”
Amen!
lauren hobbs fashion bomb daily designer manager nordstrom phipps plaza
If you want more style inspiration and shoe envy, follow Lauren on Instagram @LaurenHobbs.
What do you think of this Breaking into Fashion Interview?

No comments:

Post a Comment